Preparation For : 4 People | Preparation Time : 1 hour (Approx)
- Papita (Raw Papaya) – 200gm
- Aloo (Potato) – 100 gm
- Baigana (Brinjal, Eggplant) – 75gm
- Sajana Chhuin (Drumstick) – 80 gm
- Saru (Arum, Arbi) – 120 gm
- Beans – 20 gm
- kancha kadali (Raw banana) – 65 gm
- kakharu (Pumpkin) – 120 gm
- Tomato -80 gm
- Piaja (Onion)- 100 gm
- Harad Dali (Pigeon Pea, Arhar Dal) -150 gm
- Sorisha (Mustard Seed)- 2tsp
- Jeera (Cumin Seed)- 4 tsp
- Haladi Gunda (Turmeric Powder) – 2tsp
- Teja Patra (Bay Leaf) -2 pc
- Sukhila Lanka (Dry Chili) – 3pc
- Refine Tela (Refined Oil) – 3tbsp
- Luna( Salt) – as per taste
Preparation : Step wise
- Wash the vegetables thoroughly; cut them into medium size pieces, cut beans and drumstick into 2 inch long pieces. Cut thin slices of onion.
Soak the dal in water for about 1 hr.
- Fry 3 tsp cumin seed and 2 pc dry chili slightly, then make a fine powder out of it, keep aside.
- Boil 6, 7 cups of water in a deep pan. Add the dal, turmeric powder(1tsp) and cook it. When half cooked add the vegetables to it. Add salt.
- When the vegetables are half cooked add the tomato pieces. Cook it till everything is well cooked. Remove from flame and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. When hot add the mustard seed, cumin seed, bay leaf and dry chili. When splutter add the onion slices, fry it till turns golden brown.
- Add the boiled dal and vegetable mixture to it slowly. Cover it. Finally sprinkle the cumin chili powder (step-3) on it. Remove from flame Serve hot with rice or roti.
Health & Additional Cooking Tips
Dal and vegetables are a good combination of vitamins and protein. Dalma prepared in Eastern Odisha and temple , sprinkled with shredded coconut.